Friday, June 25, 2010

Imagining another place to be

I am imagining another place to be.
Some place where it is cool, not hot.
I painted this last year, in March.
But it's still pretty much where I think I'd like to be.
I don't know how I can get there, except in my imagination.

My great-great grandfather
Arthur William Newell
was born in China, Kennebec Co., Maine.
I need to figure out where he actually lived in China, Maine.
Did his family live near China Lake?
Arthur was born 17 Dec 1842 and died in 1889.
He married Mary Frances Grow
and they moved to Chicago, Illinois.

Arthur's parents were
Nancy Dearborn French and Samuel Johnson Newell. 
This fall I will go to Maine.
Maybe I'll find where Arthur lived when he was a young child.
Maybe I will sit and paint a scene.

For now,
I am happy imagining being in Maine in the wintertime.

No comments: